1. Due to the increased amount of spam bots on the forum, we are strengthening our defenses. You may experience a CAPTCHA challenge from time to time.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Notification emails are working properly again. Please check your email spam folder and if you see any emails from the Cantina there, make sure to mark them as "Not Spam". This will help a lot to whitelist the emails and to stop them going to spam.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. IMPORTANT! To be able to create new threads and rate posts, you need to have at least 30 posts in The Cantina.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Before posting a new thread, check the list with similar threads that will appear when you start typing the thread's title.
    Dismiss Notice

Thread for those who loved the movie

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' started by The Last Deadeye, Dec 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithF1138

KeithF1138 Force Sensitive

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +4,437 / 50 / -22
    In your opinion. I was completely fine with the look. All the films have had little bits of humor like this in my opinion.

I also felt that Rose had a thing for Finn from the beginning. She was completely fan girl of his at beginning, and that changed throughout the film.

• Like Like x 6
  2. JediMasterRaspberry

JediMasterRaspberry Rebel Trooper

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +195 / 0 / -1
    Yes, it is my opinion. Being fine with it is your opinion. The vast majority of everyone's posts here are their opinions.

Phasma had been just about to shoot them, fires burning all around and the walker shooting up the place and Finn & Rose just stand there to give each other a look. I'd have been running for cover. None of the other movies have characters standing around in the middle of a battle giving each other looks of puzzlement.

Rose most certainly did not have a "thing" for Finn. She had awe for the him based on things people had been saying and that quickly changed once she met him. She electrocuted him and called him a coward. Then they just kind of got on with things. The way the relationship developed was more like a friendship. Being "in love" just appeared out of nowhere. I assume it is "in love" as opposed to caring about him because she kissed him. The relationship didn't need it.

In fact, I think it would have been great if there had been no romance at all in this trilogy. That really would be something new.

I think the Poe introducing himself to Rey was odd. I know a lot of people screamed romance at that moment :rolleyes: but the real issue is why are they only meeting now? They are both Finn's friend and surely they crossed paths at the resistance base. BB-8 is also a connection. And theywere in the command centre together when Artoo woke up. I'm not looking for an answer to that because I'm hoping Johnson explains it in the commentary - so no spoilers please ;) - I just needed say it out loud.

3. DailyPlunge

DailyPlunge Coramoor

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +20,581 / 309 / -97
    [​IMG]

This hardly constitutes an issue.
    They obviously didn't and it's not that big of a deal that they didn't formally introduce themselves. Poe hadn't met Holdo either.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. JediMasterRaspberry

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +195 / 0 / -1
    This clip proves mummy point. The characters here are shooting or in cover. They are not just standing around in the middle of the action.

And the dialogue and other interactions are sharp and witty. There is no “goofy looks”.

Something that is not an issue for you can be an issue for someone else. However I never said it was an “issue” - I said it was odd.

Yes obviously they had not met. It is still odd.

I never said it was a big deal. I said it was odd.

Holdo is irrelevant in this point. It vital to both the characters and the film’s plot that Poe and Holdo had never meet. If he knew her he would not have made the decisions he did.

Okay it is clearly ibvious from both your post and one before that o have “hit a nerve” because you are both far to sensitive. I’m simply pointing out some elements at didn’t work for me. I’m not battering the movie. Criticism isn’t always negative.

• Like Like x 2
  5. JediMasterRaspberry

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +195 / 0 / -1
    How do I contact a moderator so I can edit my post? I typed it when very tired and made a few spelling mistakes.

6. Stormagadon

Stormagadon Cantina Court Jester
    Staff Member

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +32,478 / 17 / -6
    You can shoot us a PM for a conversation and request what you'd like done.

• Like Like x 3
    • Great Post Great Post x 1
  7. KeithF1138

KeithF1138 Force Sensitive

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +4,437 / 50 / -22
    Tell me about Han and Leia 1st date? I dont recall it. I remember Han in ANH kid Luke because he could see Luke had a thing for her. By the way not creepy since they didnt know they were brother and sister yet. Then from very beginning of ESB you could see all of a sudden they had a thing for each other. When did that occur?

• Like Like x 3
  8. DailyPlunge

DailyPlunge Coramoor

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +20,581 / 309 / -97
    The bigger overall take here is that's a little hyperbole, but it okay if you don't like the scene.
    Nah, a big time member of the Resistance that Poe didn't know is very relevant.

• Like Like x 4
  9. cawatrooper

cawatrooper Dungeon Master

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +26,705 / 65 / -37
    Arguably their first "date" (or Han's delusional attempt at one) was in the Monsua Nebula, but it didn't go super well... :p

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. RoyleRancor

RoyleRancor Car'a'Carn

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +43,325 / 185 / -97
    giphy (58).gif

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. JediMasterRaspberry

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +195 / 0 / -1
    I had wanted to correct some spelling errors but it is okay.

Thank you for the information though.
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 20, 2019, Original Post Date: Feb 20, 2019 ---
    Han and Leia didn't have a "thing" for each other either (nor had Lucas intended them to) and yes they were snapping at each other from the moment they met. They had a great chemistry that was nothing to do with romance when it was written. The romance came because of the great chemistry.

Han and Leia's relationship is nothing like Finn & Rose's (nor should it be). Rose is in awe of the fact he is a supposed hero, loses that awe when she sees he is deserting, sets aside that opinion to get the mission done and gets to know what he is really like.

There isn't any great chemistry between the characters and the "romance" is dropped in there from nowhere.
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 20, 2019 ---
    Where is the hyperbole? What am I exaggerating? Han, Leia and Luke are behaving properly - seeking cover and shooting back. They are not standing in the middle of a battle zone giving each other looks.

No Holdo is not relevant because it is very, very important to the movie's plot that Poe has not meet Holdo before plus they are no scenes together prior to their first meeting as happens with Rey & Poe.

And the Resistance is a big organisation. It makes perfect sense that not all members have met before. Has every soldier in the US Army met the Joint Chiefs, etc.

Holdo and Poe are simply not an argument.

Poe and Rey are the only two people in the galaxy who care about Finn. Not only are they in the same building but they are in the same room. It is just odd.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DailyPlunge

DailyPlunge Coramoor

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +20,581 / 309 / -97
    You're not the arbitrator of what is allowed to be an argument or what I consider relevant. I'll just agree to disagree and move on.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Jedi MD

Jedi MD Jedi Commander

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +11,142 / 60 / -6
    Actually the Resistance is relatively small. It was a splinter group from the New Republic designed to keep an eye on the Firs Order because the New Republic did not see the First Order as a threat. The New Republic itself was large.

• Like Like x 4
  14. JediMasterRaspberry

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +195 / 0 / -1
    I was neither an “arbiter” nor was I telling you what YOU can consider relevant.

I was giving my opinion.

You made a very big deal in your first response that what I posted was “in (my) opinion”, yet view your own opinions as being “fact”.

You get defensive about your right to an opinion (even though no one is doing anything to your right to an opinion) and seem to have no respect for the opinion of someone else. You had no problem telling me that I was wrong but get offended when I disagree with you.

It was you who made a big deal of my post and now you claim “agree to disagree” and “want to move on”. The equivrllient of

The entire exchange has been very silly.

15. JediMasterRaspberry

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +195 / 0 / -1
    This is my third attempt to respond to your post. The first two times when I hit post reply my gizmo turned off. :confused:

“Relatively small” can still be very big. It just depends on what it is being compared to.

In Holdo’s first scene she says there are 400 (I think) personnel across all the ships. That is still a. Lot and it is conceivable that a pilot and an admiral do not meet. The Resistence also has “allies”.

There are many reason why Holdo and Poe might not have met. I picked only the size of the organisation for the sake of brevity.

Factor in that TLJ is missing Resistence characters from TFA and vice versa. That the Resistence has cruisers it didn’t have for the attack on Starkiller Base.

So maybe the Resistence wasn’t operating from only one base. Maybe Holdo and Poe weee always sway on missions when the other was with Leia. Maybe Holdo’s membership was a secret, etc

The point is that it is vitally important to the movie’s plot that Holdo and Poe do not know each other and there are dozens of reasons why they might not have met.

Whereas it makes no sense why Rey and Poe who are in the same room, share affection for the same droid and both care for the gravely wounded friend never speak to each other.

Abrams should have had a brief scene of the two meeting or together at Finn’s bedside with no dialogue.

But then he also didn’t have Leia and Chewie comfort each other after Han’s death - which is just ridiculous.

It fell to Johnson to have the two interact for the first time on screen and he seemed to think it made sense that it be the first time the spoke. It would have made more sense if Poe had said to Rey something like “it is good to see you again”, etc.

I suppose Johnson was out of ideas at that stage in the writing. I don’t blame him because he put so much great, fresh stuff into the film.

16. FN-3263827

FN-3263827 First Order CPS
    1030th General **** (Mod)

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +157,742 / 65 / -7
    @JediMasterRaspberry, @Jedi MD

Holdo officially joined the Resistance after the attack on the Hosnian System. considering Poe has been rather occupied with other concerns, it makes sense he's never met her. he's heard of her because he knows what's going on in the Resistance, but there has literally been no time for them to meet between TFA and TLJ.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 3
  17. JediMasterRaspberry

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +195 / 0 / -1
    Thanks for the information. ;)

So Poe knows Holdo from her days in the Rebellion and her career with the Republic fleet.:cool:

Do you know when the Resistance got the Mon Cal cruiser?

18. FN-3263827

FN-3263827 First Order CPS
    1030th General **** (Mod)

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +157,742 / 65 / -7
    Raddus is Leia's NR flagship, which she brought with her to the Resistance, so it's been with them from the start.

• Like Like x 2
  19. RoyleRancor

RoyleRancor Car'a'Carn

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +43,325 / 185 / -97
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. DailyPlunge

DailyPlunge Coramoor

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +20,581 / 309 / -97
    I agree with that.
    Similar situation with Rey. It's conceivable that the two didn't cross paths before she left to find Luke.

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.