1. Due to the increased amount of spam bots on the forum, we are strengthening our defenses. You may experience a CAPTCHA challenge from time to time.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Notification emails are working properly again. Please check your email spam folder and if you see any emails from the Cantina there, make sure to mark them as "Not Spam". This will help a lot to whitelist the emails and to stop them going to spam.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. IMPORTANT! To be able to create new threads and rate posts, you need to have at least 30 posts in The Cantina.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Before posting a new thread, check the list with similar threads that will appear when you start typing the thread's title.
    Dismiss Notice

Thread for those who loved the movie

Discussion in 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' started by The Last Deadeye, Dec 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoyleRancor

RoyleRancor Car'a'Carn

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +43,325 / 185 / -97
    This is really just proof that sometimes the writer has to manufacture silly misgivings in the script so drama happens. It's a part of writing and why looking for plot holes is watching a movie wrong.

• Like Like x 6
  2. KeithF1138

KeithF1138 Force Sensitive

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +4,437 / 50 / -22
    Signal? Who said anything about a signal. The Rebellion has plenty of people they could send on a mission to physically take the cash. They had 3 years in between ANH and ESB to have someone stop on Tatooine and pay Jabba. They werent hiding on Hoth for all that time. They were communicating with other rebel cells.
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 26, 2019, Original Post Date: Feb 26, 2019 ---
    Thats why I really dont do it except for a little fun. As I said in my initial post about it. It is a so called plot hole, but doesnt lessen how much I loved ESB. Just like Rey and Poe shouldnt act like complete strangers at the end of TLJ doesnt lessen how much I love TLJ. Just like the Empire not simply using the Death Star to destroy Yavin and taking the rebel base on the moon with it doesnt make me love ANH any less.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Jaxxon

Jaxxon Green Space Rabbit

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +16,062 / 29 / -4
    I would modify this a little bit. Plot holes really should be avoided, but only when they are actually plot wholes. Often, people cry "plot whole" whenever characters don't make the best choices (Why didn't Holdo tell Poe the plan? Plot hole! Why didn't the Rebellion pay Han's debts? Plot hole!).

But in reality, people don't always make the best choices. Sometimes people do things that make no sense. In a moment, you never know which actions will have the best results. That's not a plot whole. That's character.

• Like Like x 4
    • Wise Wise x 2
  4. KeithF1138

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +4,437 / 50 / -22
    This is a must watch video. No commentary or anything, just a must watch.

• Like Like x 4
    • Cool Cool x 1
  5. KeithF1138

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +4,437 / 50 / -22
    This is very well thought out.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. TK-1204

TK-1204 Imperial Special Forces
    1030th General **** (Mod)

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +18,163 / 2 / -0
    It's an interesting thought that probably does have some merit in regards to how some people reacted to the film.

However, at the end of the day, all entertainment is subject to an individual's tastes, and how those tastes are influenced vary wildly. What may be true for one, may not necessarily be true for someone else. So while that tweet likely does apply to some, if not many, it doesn't apply to all who disliked the film.

• Like Like x 3
    • Wise Wise x 1
  7. eeprom

eeprom Prince of Bebers

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +10,331 / 40 / -11
    I don’t understand why it can’t be both for people. We can engage with a story on its own terms, embracing the lucidity as it’s given, AND freely acknowledge its inherent gaps in logic. ‘Plot-hole = bad’, is a false equivalency to me. A severe enough break in reason can certainly ruin the suspension-of-disbelief, sure, but not just ANY flaw in sensibility.

So many of the stories I enjoy most have glaring separations from the rational - dilemmas easily resolved by common sense. But then there’d be no story. That’s the conceit. It’s the price we pay with our credulity so we can play along.

• Like Like x 3
  8. RoyleRancor

RoyleRancor Car'a'Carn

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +43,325 / 185 / -97
    Basically the whole of sci-fi/horror/drama/comedy/fantasy genres go out the window if we can't allow this...

• Like Like x 4
  9. Angelman

Angelman Servant of the Whills -- Slave to the Muses
    1030th Grand Admiral ***** (Mod)

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +44,458 / 76 / -20
    ...tanks on stilts <3

• Like Like x 4
  10. Andrew Waples

Andrew Waples Jedi General

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +87,884 / 84 / -31

• Like Like x 5
  11. Kylocity

Kylocity Rebel Official

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +3,422 / 32 / -16
    Class
    --- Double Post Merged, Mar 10, 2019, Original Post Date: Mar 10, 2019 ---
    Love this :)
    Legacy would be a great title for 9...

• Like Like x 2
  12. Gonk Droid

Gonk Droid Rebelscum

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    Just popped on here to say I loved TLJ!

It wasn't perfect but I found it a rip roaring sequel to TFA.

Finally I find all this hysteria about Luke dying a little too OTT. For me it was a brilliant jaw dropping moment (an "I am your Father" moment if you like) that I don't think anyone saw coming. Personally I was blown away by the whole force projection scene. I think some people need to realise that the GFFA is not just about Luke and it's time to move on.

I loved it and this is from someone who grew up with the Original Trilogy.

• Like Like x 6
    • Great Post Great Post x 1
  13. Angelman

Angelman Servant of the Whills -- Slave to the Muses
    1030th Grand Admiral ***** (Mod)

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +44,458 / 76 / -20
    I couldn't agree more. TLJ is definitelly my favorite SW to date, even though I grew up on the OT and love them to bits. For me, TLJ is just perfect, especially Luke's character and arc. :D I need to rewatch it again soon!

• Like Like x 4
  14. LadyMusashi

LadyMusashi Archwizard Woo-Woo-in-Chief
    Staff Member

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +44,802 / 45 / -17
    I recently watched one of those watch-alongs on YouTube and I was again struck how beautiful this movie is. There are several dozen frames I would like on my wall.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Jaxxon

Jaxxon Green Space Rabbit

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +16,062 / 29 / -4
    Y'know, I think one of the biggest arguments people make against Luke becoming a hermit is actually one of the biggest reasons it makes sense.

Luke would do anything to save his friends. He explicitly disobey is Yoder and Obi-Wan to save his friends and then to try to save Vader. When the emperor threatens later, Luke tries to kill him and his only stopped by Vader's blade.

So people say, how could Luke abandon his friends? How could he draw a blade on his nephew?

For this exact reason. Luke's love of his friends is the one thing he values even above the Jedi way, as he showed by disobeying his masters and even playing with the Dark side by nearly killing the emperor.

So when he saw what Kylo would do? That Kylo would kill Luke's padawans, even kill Han? Of course for a moment Luke gives into darkness, before he can think better of it, and draws his blade.

And that very action leads to all the bad things Kylo does. So what does Luke conclude?

The Jedi way, and specifically Luke himself, is a great threat to his friends and family.

Luke abandons his friends because he thinks that he himself is the greatest threat to their well-being. He thinks the Jedi way has caused the evil that created so much pain. He is being consistent with his character by valuing his love of his friends above even the Jedi path. In his mind, the Jedi must end, because they are a threat to the one thing he has always valued even more.

• Like Like x 4
    • Great Post Great Post x 2
  16. Jedi77-83

Jedi77-83 Force Sensitive

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +6,712 / 176 / -38
    Nm

#996 Jedi77-83, Mar 23, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  17. FN-3263827

FN-3263827 First Order CPS
    1030th General **** (Mod)

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +157,742 / 65 / -7
    @Jedi77-83, for what it's worth, the way i see it is that shame can be incredibly crippling.
    and the bigger the ego, the more crippling it can be (and let's face it, the Skywalkers have galactic-sized egos; even Luke).
    and once you've made one bad decision, the fall is precipitous: it just leads to another, and another, and more shame on top of that.
    for me it's easy to see that's what led him to flee and it's partly what's keeping Ben in the dark.

is it what i wanted for Luke? no. i feel like Rey: disappointed and disillusioned.
    but ultimately, it's what Luke does in the end that matters.
    he's allowed to fail like the rest of us mortals, just so long as he's the hero we know he can be in the end. : D

• Like Like x 4
  18. Too Bob Bit

Too Bob Bit Jedi Commander

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +11,195 / 9 / -2
    They were certainly good enough for HG Wells!

• Like Like x 2
  19. The Hero With No Fear

The Hero With No Fear Resident Sand Hater

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +36,694 / 14 / -9
    Luke’s character in TLJ felt like the right progression for his character IMO. I feel that a lot of people only wanted to see a badass Luke crushing walkers, killing stormtroopers, and decimating Kylo Ren, which I think would be terrible. What we got may have been less flashy or spectacular, but I feel that it was more meaningful and far more memorable. I think that a lot of people ignore Luke’s greatest flaw; which is is that he’s always looking off to the horizon (sometimes literally) instead of focusing on what he’s doing in the presnet.

Ep. 4: Hates his life on the farm and seeks adventure and excitement.
    Ep. 5: Ditches the Rebel Alliance after the Battle of Hoth to get trained as a Jedi. Then he ditches his training to go save his friends, ultimately falling into Darth Vader’s trap.
    Ep. 6: Seeks to turn his father back to the light side and leaves his friends on Endor, ultimately playing into the Emperor’s plan.
    Ep. 8: Briefly contemplates killing his nephew out of fear that he’ll lose everything he cares about and thhat the galaxy will be plunged into darkness once more.

Even in the comics, Luke is desperate to become a Jedi and is always getting himself (and usually Han, Leia, and Chewie) into trouble as a result. Not to mention that Luke often went off on his own, which ultimately led to his self-imposed exile on Ahch-To. Though his heart is in the right place and his goals are often selfless, he’s still a very impulsive person and sometimes is misguided. Luke acted out of impulse by drawing his lightsaber on Ben Solo, but stopped himself and unintentionally served as the catalyst to his nephew’s fall to the Dark Side. This is why, in my opinion, the way Luke was portrayed in TLJ was for the best

• Like Like x 4
  20. Jedi MD

Jedi MD Jedi Commander

Credits:
    Ratings:
    +11,142 / 60 / -6
    The time and place for badass Luke would have been closer to the time right after ROTJ or up to 10-12 years after. Unfortunately we did not get a sequel trilogy soon enough for that to be a real possibility. A ST during that time period would have been based more on the OT characters than new characters. However with the 30 year gap that had to change. New characters were needed to do the heavy lifting. Making Luke a central character as the great and almighty Jedi master would have taken away from the new characters. JJ even said as much which is why Luke is missing from most of TLJ. He is part of the story but not in the story. This allows us to form a connection to the new characters that may not have occurred otherwise.

Now in TLJ Rian was tasked with what to do with Luke having been isolated for years. He is not the one who decided Luke ran off to Achto after Ben fell to the dark. That was already set up by JJ in TFA. Rian was tasked with creating a story of what could have gone so impossibly wrong that Luke would isolate himself from the galaxy. That is what he did. Luke has a moment of weakness. He contemplated an act that was so very wrong and un-Luke. He realizes it too late and suffers the consequences of Ben’s fall.

However by making him fail and regress from the hero we fell in love with as kids, he allowed for the greatest redemption we have seen in SW. Luke becomes the hero again. He makes the ultimate sacrifice using the single greatest Force power we’ve seen to save the Resistance. Luke demeonstrates he is the most powerful Jedi. Not in the flashy way many expected but with the same effect in the end.

• Like Like x 4
    • Great Post Great Post x 2
    • Wise Wise x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.